Sunday, July 16, 2006

Dreaming while Awake

If you are ever feeling great about your vocabulary in a language, you just need to try translating a song (assuming you are bilingual), and that experience will humble you. I used to be a big fan of the Tamizh author Baalakumaaran (the reason for "used to" is a post in itself) and have thought of translating his novels into English, so that more people could read him. But I have never done it and may never do it after this. But then maybe translating a novel is easier than a song...maybe.

One of the recent songs that I very much like is "suttum vizhi chudarae" from the movie Ghajini. I can listen to it five or six times in a row, much to the chagrin of my co-listeners. One day, I happened to be listening to this song with some of my friends who don't know Tamizh and so I translated some of the sentences for them. As a credit to this song, even my not-Tamizh-knowing friends liked the song (or so they said!) and figured out that it was romantic (maybe because it was a duet?!) . This, combined with wanting to translate for some time, prompted me to translate this song from Tamizh to English. But now I wonder what got into me to want to do that.

First of all, translating a song is difficult. You realize that it is hard to find words in another language even if you understand what it means in the original language. I like languages, especially Tamizh and English (the ones I know) and Spanish and Italian (which I don't know but like to hear them anyway), but now I have better appreciation for the nuances in different languages. These two languages are so different that it is a wonder that I can speak both :-)

Without much more rambling, here is the translated song in English.

Male:
Light from bright eyes
Light from bright eyes
My world revolves around you.
Your photo in my shirt pocket
Is touching me and
My heart is on fire.
I fall in your sight and
Fly in space.
I dream while I am awake
Because of you
I dream while I am awake.

I saw softness on your chest
Hardness in your sight
Searched for the in between
But didn't find it.

Female:
I blabbered in my sleep
Stood in the drizzle
And thought of you
When I sneezed.

Male:
Are there black and white flowers?
I saw them in your eyes. Your eyes
are flowers that eat the bees. Your eyes
are flowers that eat the bees.

Female: (Light from bright eyes)
A certain wood pecker
Snatched my heart and
I gave my body and soul.

Male:
With neither fire nor wick
That bodies would burn
I realized only today.

Female:
Is rain more beautiful? Or sunshine?
When you flirt, rain is beautiful.
When you are angry, sunshine is beautiful.
When you are angry, sunshine is beautiful.

(Light from burning eyes)




Notes on the translation:

The translation does not do much justice to the beauty of this song and so one is better off listening to the song either at Raaga (original version) or at Swarasthaanam (a beautiful rendition by Meera and Jo). "Light from bright eyes" does not come close to expressing all that is in Bharathiyaar's phrase "suttum vizhi chudarae" (I could not translate "suttum vizhi chudarae" and had to ask a friend for help and I don't mean to discredit the friend's translation but just want to emphasize the difference in the beauties between languages). I still don't know how to translate "mellinam" and "vallinam" into english and have went with substitutes like "softness" and "hardness".

The biggest challenge in translating is to choose between the literal translation and taking some liberty so as to convey the message. I think the above translation has both, as and when convenient for me! Regardless of the fact that the English version is not as mellifluous as the Tamizh version, it was a new and enjoyable experience.

Thanks to Selvaraj for helping me with the translation. If you have a better translation for any of the words/phrases in the song, let me know through the comments.

And folks, try to dream while you are awake as well (not the same as day dreaming!).

17 comments:

Ram Viswanathan said...

Nithya

Oh yes.. it is a very difficult job.. You have done a decent job with this one though..

Nithya said...

Thanks, Ram.

Priya said...

Nithya, I just blogged this piece of your info' in my blog. Hope you donno mind..

Thanks for such a beautiful piece to share with others.

Nithya said...

Priya, Thanks for linking this post in your blog. I don't mind at all.

starry said...

Came here from Priya's blog. beautiful words.

Dh@v@! said...

yeah well said...
The translation does not do much justice to the beauty of songs...

Thats is true with the English-to-Hindi moives also...

you shold see the funny name they give "Hevan jaag uthaa" "Haathi mera Sathi..."

neways... must say its a nice post...

mathew said...

Although i dont understand tamil "suttum vizhi chudarae" ia a fav of mine as well!!!

Syam said...

routed thru Priya's blog, you have done a wonderful job...I know its really difficult especially with the songs you really like...

Nithya said...

Starry Nights, dh@v@, Mathew & Syam,

Thanks for your comments. They are encouraging me to try more translations. Beware!

Unknown said...

hi!Nithya. you have agreat sense of humour

Movie Mazaa said...

Just wanted to let u know that I share an immense fascination for the song!

:)

Anonymous said...

Nithya B?

Lakshmi

அருண் said...

hey nithya...they say negatives give more learning
there you go

-Fly in a space ship.

Fly in space actually-vinveli means just space

-I saw softness on your chest
too subtle.....

Like a wood pecker
You Snatched my heart and

"A certain wood pecker"-marangothi paravai ondru!

that was a great effort by the way! bravo

Anonymous said...

The lyrics in English is pretty good. Wish I could understand Tamil

Nithya said...

Delphine, I hope your comment is not regarding my translation :-)

Velu, great people have similar tastes :-)

Lakshmi, I am Nithya Srinivasan.

Hiren, Thanks for your comments.

Nithya said...

Arun,

Thanks for taking the time to suggest correct and better translations. I will make those changes in the post itself.

Venu b said...

Wow! that flash in your eyes; - Hey that flash in your eyes;
My world spins around ya...

the shirt pocket; your photo in there
comes in contact agian and again;
and ah - my heart catches fire(of passion)!

I lose myself in your (beautiful) eyes;
and i go floating in space
Oh! I am dreaming wid awake....
Oh! I am dreaming wid awake....

I dont understand Tamil but i made this out with the translation Nitya has provided and the actual song playng with the actors trying to express thru the action

Not sure if its correct - know that it is a 2006 thread
just posting it :D

Cheers