Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Blank Noise Project

Blank Noise Project is an endeavor by a few people in India to recognize eve teasing as a sexual crime and make it unacceptable. It is a very laudable effort as this is not a topic that is discussed openly in India, let alone protested against.

Here are my two cents on sexual harassment in the Indian context.

Just like most girls growing up in Chennai, I have been subject to sexual harassment - the groping, the rubbing, the pressing etc., mainly in crowded buses, but also on the streets and inside some houses as well (curiously Blank Noise does not have a group in Chennai, which is one of the four biggest cities in India). In spite of these happening very long ago and my being more mature and open now, I am not ready to talk about the details for various reasons.

Here are some things that I think could be done to alleviate this issue.

1. Raise awareness among young girls that this is a common problem and that it is not their fault that they have to go through this. Encourage them to talk about it with anybody they feel comfortable with. Impress upon them to retaliate. I attended a self defense course a few years ago where they told me that the best offense against a guy is twist-grab-pull (you know what), and I wish I had thought of that then and had the guts to implement it (you got to give it to them where it hurts). At the least, raise a shout so that they would be too embarrassed and move away.

2. Introduce a sex education class in schools so that everybody is aware at a young age what it is all about so that they don't covet it secretly. Hopefully, this will also encourage open dialogue about sex and related matters. It is a normal thing and everybody is doing it, and so what is wrong in talking about it?

3. Make it a crime, as this hurts the woman - both emotionally and physically. Publish stories and photos in the media so that those guys know that they are being watched.

Yes, all of these are easier said than done, and much easier said online and from outside India. But for my part, when I go to India, I wear what I want to wear (in spite of the stares I get on the roads) and vocally admonish when some stranger touches me. However from now on, I will be more conscious of this around me, and raise a voice even when I see it happening to somebody else.

6 comments:

tris said...

do you really what you like in Madras. I wear a shapeless khadi kurtha, my husband's size and maybe my college salwars from ten years ago.

My younger cousins are absolutely turned off by my frumpiness but I don't think my AT clothes are meant for Madras.

Anonymous said...

/I will be more conscious of this around me, and raise a voice even when I see it happening to somebody else/


Well said!!!! How true you are and not many women do care to fight back. Well "they" think it as mind in the game. We "have to" be courageous wherever we are.
Ther is more of ego, selfishness and dominat people in the society who still think as of 40s that women need to listen to them.
Leave alone teenagers, as they have hormone changes. But what about middle and old ones. Hmm, they stare as if they have never seen a women.
I wonder people who threatedn other women, are filthy and shameless creatures.
Theya re insecure and thaz why they play hide and seek.
Next time, just take pictures and put in ur blog.
Holy crap!!! These idiots need strong lesson.

Check this mans blog.
http://libranlover.blogspot.com/2006/03/root-cause-of-eve-teasing-in-india.html

Good job!!!

Priya said...

Good job nithya!!! I totallya gree as women in India face lots of hurdles in their day today life. I have never seen such "eve-teasing" in North America.
Men need to come out of their traditions. We say Indians are highly educated. But some men either educated or (un) are the same. Its kind of hypocracy!!
Hats off to you to bring the topic in this forum.

Good Luck!!!

Unknown said...

You are absolutely right Nithya. Good job. very interesting article.

Unknown said...

You are absolutely right Nithya. Good job. very interesting article.

Nithya said...

Anonymous, Priya & Delphine: Thanks for your comments and encouragement.

The next time I go to India, I will try to take pictures (that is a good idea), but I hope I don't see any such activity (one can always dream, right?).

Nithya