Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Eating Healthy

Just like a lot of people, I would like to lose a few pounds and get in shape. But this is one of the hardest things to do. If not, why would there be a zillion commercials and products related to weight loss. The thing that I find very interesting in these weight loss commercials are the before and after pictures. The before picture is of someone very fat (of course) and sad whereas the after picture is of someone extremely attractive and joyful. These before and after pictures crack me up whenever I see them.

I am trying to "eat healthy" these days by watching what I eat. While I was trying to pick a way to lose weight, I read about the different diets. Atkins was out of the question as it does not allow carbohydrates. How can I survive with no rice and bread? Finally it dawned on me that it is the calories that I should watch for. So now I try to limit the number of calories and especially the ones from fat, to keep it simple. Of course, then they say there are some good fats and some bad fats and that one should eat less fat but still eat good fat. And that makes the whole thing very confusing. Of course, I give in once in a while. How can one resist when they bring the dessert tray to your table after the entree? But so far, it seems to be working somewhat - could be better but could be worse as well!

Of course, when I go to India, all bets are off. The justification is that the next chance will be a year or two away and so I have to eat all of my favorites. Here is how a typical day goes in India. Wake up and have coffee and some breakfast. Then we go shopping and the first place we see is a fast food place and so we have to try out that latest snack they have. We do that and then go to a store that we planned on going and then we stop by a juice shop to drink something. Then we go to a couple of other stores and then stop by a restaurant (mostly Saravana Bhavan) for lunch. Then we go to a few more stores and then stop by another restaurant for a light snack and to pick up something for the ones at home. Then we head home. There we have tea and some more snacks. Then it is time for dinner, which may sometimes be preceded by a snack as well. After dinner, we eat some fruits before going to bed. Yes, there is some exaggeration involved here, but you get the idea. Inspite of all this, I do not gain weight in India as there is a lot of walking involved, I think.

I noticed several health conscious efforts going on in India as well. But the Ananda Bhavans and Hot Chips don't help them in anyway. But that is where all the good things are! So Enjoy, but in moderation.

6 comments:

Boston Bala said...

The common reason I give for indulging (while in India) is 'Being a tropical country and with my long walks to various places all the Nei Roast will get burnt in no time' :P

மணியன் said...

If you want to watch your weight, following are some tips:
1. Avoid direct sugar in Cofee,Tea and Juices.

2. Increase intake of fiber in food- lentils, legumes etc.It will reduce hunger and tendency to binge.Prefer raw fruits to juices.

3. Reduce portion sizes but eat often. Five or six meals a day help control portion size and overall quantity of food.

4. Drink minimum 8 glasses of water.

5. Intake of Calcium in the form of buttermilk helps.

Anonymous said...

interesting

Nithya said...

Thanks for all the comments.

Bala, that sounds like a good reason (excuse?) to me :-)

Manian, I try to follow these tips as much as possible.

Anonymous said...

diet 50% + exercise 50% = reduce weight.

Masilamanis said...

Nithya, once in a way you can eat whatever you feel like. The Chinese and Japanese eat five times a day, but still they do not weigh much. sugar has only empty calories. you can add honey instead of sugar,