Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Blog Day 2006

I decided to do this post for Blog Day 2006 as I can be officially declared to be addicted to blogs now. It all started accidentally, when I happened to run into a friend's blog. I had lost touch with this friend and so it was very nice to see that he was still writing and interesting to read a blog. So I started looking into it and one afternoon announced proudly to my better half that I created a blog (of course, that was my better half's introduction to blogs). This was less than a year ago and now I can't have enough of the wonderful world of blogs. When I go to Bloglines and don't find any new posts (which happens only very rarely), I am slightly disappointed. But then when there are a lot of posts, I can't wait to read them all (as though these are letters waiting for me to read).

Blogs have done two very important things for me. The first one is that they are keeping me abreast of the happenings in India (which I left about 12 years ago) and the second one is that they are making me read and write in Tamil (which I have not done much of). So because of these two reasons, I seem to be gravitating towards India related and Tamil blogs.

It is hard for me to pick only five interesting blogs but here are the ones that I have started reading regularly recently.

1. Within/Without by Neha Viswanathan: Neha covers a wide array of subjects from kozhukkattais to Almodovar's movies. Her writing is spunky and full of energy.

2. Mahanandi by Indira: This is the mother of all food blogs. The best food blog that I have seen so far and the recipes are easy to make (most of them at least) and they turn out pretty good. She does fusion cuisine very well and has eye-catching, mouth-watering pictures.

3. On the Urban Frontier by Josh Mogerman: This is a guy from Chicago who is staying in South India for some time and shares his experiences with the world. His views are without prejudice and makes for interesting read. I am interested in this because a few of my American friends are planning on visiting India with us next year.

4. Trailing Technology by Scott Carney: A freelance writer living in Chennai since the beginning of this year. He is participating in the Indian Autorickshaw Challenge and I am curious to see how that goes for him through his blog.

5. Tamil Valaippadhivu by Mathy Kandasamy (Tamil blog): Mathy's writings are bold and give a Canadian perspective on things. Her Tamil is simple enough for me to understand.

I do like many more blogs and read them regularly but here is my 5-list for Blog Day 2006.

Happy Blogging, everyone!

Technorati Tag for Blog Day 2006

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot Nithya for adding my blog. I am honoured!

மிக்க நன்றி!

-மதி

Anonymous said...

Abt the blogs you have listed: I am going to check out

On the Urban Frontier by Josh Mogerman

and

Trailing Technology by Scott Carney.

I am a big fan of Indira too. Her posts inspire me a lot. My friends still tease me about the "Green Chappathi's" I made. :)

Let me get the link.

http://mathy.kandasamy.net/musings/2006/03/17/342

-Mathy

Nithya said...

Mathy,

You are very welcome. I will have to try making the green chapathis sometime.