Friday, August 04, 2006

Dear God

Ammani has a My Dear letter writing event that is one of a kind. Following is what I sent for that.

Dear God,

Hope you get this letter as I am not sure about your existence and don't know your address. I used to visit you in the temples and sing bhajans at school when I was growing up. Then there was a period when I thought you didn't exist and stopped them. But now, I am not sure whether you exist or not. So many people believe in you (although in different names and forms) and that makes me wonder. When I see people of different denominations fight over a piece of land in your name, I think that you would not let people die, if you were around. But then people die and you don't do anything about it and so I think that you are not there. Then there are things like the beautiful sunrise, perfect snow flake and colorful flowers that make me think that somebody has created these with a good plan. And so I wonder.

If you are there, I have a few requests for you. Stop innocent people from being killed through acts of violence, kids getting killed because of their parent's actions and dogs getting killed because of a totalitarian regime. Tell people that you are only one and all human beings are really created equal regardless of how they look, speak or act. Make good people live longer and don't let anybody suffer through old age on their own. And finally, make ice-cream and cheesecake good for us.

If I get a reply from you, I will know that I was wrong all this time. But if I don't get a reply, I will continue wondering this way, till I see any or all of the above requests taken care of.

Cheers,

Wondering Agnostic

16 comments:

Ram Viswanathan said...

Nithya

Well written..

We will have to keep wondering.. but woulnd't it be nice if you get a response ?

So, who would you send this mail to ? I have heard that there is PO Box for Santa Claus...

Priya said...

Many kids still send post cards to Santa here and it reached one particular palce and they get thank you cards too.
You can drop your wish in a piece of bottle and drop into ocean. You never know, it can make wonders...

தருமி said...

Dear child(!),

Cannt you leave me in peace for some time? Already I have my hands (know not the number of my hands !) full and who shall I answer first - yours or the questions of those dying in Somalia and Ethiopia or in Lebanon? Do you think they know why they are suffering and dying?

Do you think that I have answers for all these things. had i known answers for all these follies, i would have resolved many of the things that are happening in the place you call 'world'.

My poor child, pray for ME!!

yours ever,
god for ever!

Anonymous said...

Dear child(!),

Cannt you leave me in peace for some time? Already I have my hands (know not the number of my hands !) full and who shall I answer first - yours or the questions of those dying in Somalia and Ethiopia or in Lebanon? Do you think they know why they are suffering and dying?

Do you think that I have answers for all these things. had i known answers for all these follies, i would have resolved many of the things that are happening in the place you call 'world'.

My poor child, pray for ME!!

yours ever,
god for ever!

Nithya said...

Ram: Thanks. I am not sure where to send it to but hope that Ammani will take care of it :-)

Aim: Good points. I have read most of Richard Bach's writings. I am not against death and give it a 50/50 change of being better than life. However I do think that people should be able to lead a full life before going to the next stage.

Priya: Good idea, and that might actually improve my chances!

Dharumi/Ralsam: Excellent reply.

இயற்கை நேசி|Oruni said...

//My poor child, pray for ME!!//

I am so sorry Nithya, but I have to laugh for what Dharumi had to say on behalf of God :-)))

Please guys do not throw one more bottle into the sea!!! The sea is already pleading with prayer to save herself from getting polluted more and more...

Anonymous said...

Hi Nithya

Read ur letter and felt like sharing my thoughts on this.
Dont you see god's existance in the nature u see around.Dont u see God's existance in u waking up with life and health everyday.How are we getting the air we breath everyday.How will it be if it stops or where r we getting it from.God is defintely there.I guess we just take things for granted.When u r born u know one day you r going to die.I know it is definetly hard to accept.There are people who suffer in death.U know, i feel god will give u the strength to go thro that.If u pray god for strength and wisdom to understand and go thro peace even in difficult times there u see GOD.

Hope People all over the world get peace during difficult times.Lets pray for their strength.

Nithya said...

Anonymous: I am reminded of a tamil song that goes like this ...

If you think of it as God, it is God.
But if you think of it as stone, it is just stone.

Nithya said...

Orani: You don't have to apologize for laughing for two reasons. One is that laughing is a good thing and Dharumi's comments made me laugh as well. Laugh away!

தருமி said...

i like your response - கல்லைக் கண்டால் நாயைக் காணோம்....

that is the reality. god / happiness / peace of mind - it is all one's own perspective. MIND - it is all there !

Anonymous said...

Well written, fellow agnostic! :)

Nithya said...

Aim: Good questions. My point of view is that life should be meant to be enjoyed and not suffered. What goes for happiness and suffering might differ for different people but there are some fundamental things that all of us can agree on - like starvation is not good and being with loved ones is good. Imagine a world without anybody going hungry - wouldn't that be a better world? Yes, it is not realistic but then it is my imagination.

Nithya said...

Aim, looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

Nithya said...

Aim, I believe that each of us choose what to see based on our experiences and facts. And nobody else can make us see something we don't want to see. Absolutely no hard feelings at all.

Unknown said...

nicely written.. enjoyed.

Nithya said...

Raman,

Yes, we all choose what we believe in. Thanks for your comments.