Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Yet another Love Story - Chapter 4

They both met with his sister the following week in a restaurant. It was a bit awkward in the beginning but they had a nice meal. She thought that considering the occasion, it went well.

The following day, he called her in the evening after work.

“Hi” she says, “What did you think about last night’s dinner?”

“It was not bad” he said without much enthusiasm.

“Not bad? I was patient the whole time in spite of your sister’s probing questions.”

“I appreciate that, but ….”

“But what? What did your sister say?” she was losing her patience now.

“She said that you were alright, but that she has some reservations”.

“What? Let us remember that I met with her for you even though I was not keen on it. And now I am being treated like some student taking an exam.”

“I understand, but I am not willing to commit to anything until my sister is fine with you.”

“I love you, and not your sister and your sister need not love me. Out of curiosity, what are her reservations about me?”

“Firstly, she did not like the fact that you drink. Secondly, she said that you are too independent and so she is not sure how well you will adjust to married life”.

“Well, do you agree with her?”

“I don’t mind your drinking and I think that the more we get to know one another, the easier it will be for us to compromise and live together.”

“I agree. So why are you still hesitant to commit?”

“I told you already. I got burnt quite a few times in relationships where I tried to make all the decisions by myself.”

“So, what do you want to do now?” she asks.

“I want you and my sister to get to know one another better. Why don’t you two spend some time shopping and going places?”

“Let me remind you that this relationship is between you and me” she said angrily.

“Yes, but I want my sister’s buy in as well”.

“Why? Why are you afraid to take responsibility and make decisions?”

“Because my decisions have not worked in the past. Also, remember that arranged marriages work very well in our culture.”

“Yes, but arranged marriage is not for me. I want to know the person I am marrying before I marry. Not after I marry.”

“Then we are not on the same page. As I think it is better if more than two people are involved in making a decision about a relationship. After all, we don’t know everything.”

“We are not on the same page? Looks like we are not even in the same book”.

“Just remember that most of the marriages where people know one another before the marriage do end up in divorce.”

“I am not going to live my life based on statistics. I am going to live my life based on my feelings.”

“I think that we do need the odds to work in our favor. Listen, I like you. But I just can’t marry you. I need some more time and input into this.”

“You can get all the inputs you want for some other girl. As I am not going to sit here while different people evaluate me”.

“Will you reconsider?”

“No, I have done some things already that I don’t agree with, and I don’t want to keep doing them. So, it is good bye then.”

“Good bye. And good luck.”

“Same to you.” She says and hangs up the phone.

She wonders what is going on with the current generation. Aren’t we supposed to be more independent and progressive? Did she make the right decision? Was she too hasty in making up her mind? She told herself that she did the right thing as she does not want to live with someone who can’t make up his mind. She switched on the TV and started watching a rerun of Friends.

He could not believe he had lost her. But he knew that this was the right thing to do as otherwise he would be in love and get hurt more when the girl rejects him. Now at least his sister will understand his plight. He picks up the phone and dials his sister's number.

- The End

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Nithya,

I enjoyed reading your story. A big part of the enjoyment was seeing little bits of "you" throughout.

Thanks for the entertainment!

Nithya said...

Lisa, thanks for your comments. Part of my growing up as a writer would be to create a totally fictional character, I guess.

Nithya said...

SDS,

Agree with your comments on fictional characters.

I want to write more stories as well.

Anonymous said...

i relate the male character (asking everything to his sister) to your character. so do u ask everything to someone u belive is ur well-wisher?

is my guess right?. Btw nice story.

Nithya said...

Rajesh,

Thanks for your comments.

I would relate to the female character more than the male character.

Nithya said...

Thanks, Devikaa.

Barani said...

Hey Nice story.

Anonymous said...

hmmm what's wrong with the current generation??
Well it's just human nature, failure aggravates the decline in confidence.
Eventually we start thinking too much and depend on others for making decisions.
The challenge is to realise it and decide if we are going to regret the decision later.